Saturday, June 13, 2009

But It Feels Right...

Can our feelings be trusted? How many times have you made an important decision based on how you feel? In his book, Finally Alive, John Piper offers some insightful thoughts on feelings.

"My feelings are not God. God is God. My feelings do not define truth. God's word defines truth. My feelings are echoes and responses to what my mind perceives. And sometimes--many times--my feelings are out of sync with the truth. When that happens--and it happens every day in some measure--I try not to bend the truth to justify my imperfect feelings, but rather, I plead with God: Purify my perceptions of your truth and transform my feelings so that they are in sync with the truth."

What great advice. Just because you feel a certain way about a matter does not mean it is right or correct. You must carefully examine your emotions and vet them against the truth of God's Word, because your emotions are skewed by your sin nature. Ask God for the wisdom to make good decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment