Friday, May 21, 2010

When NOT Preaching

A question I get when I am out of the pulpit is:  "What do you do when you are not preaching?"

So here are a few of the activities that I do when out of the pulpit:

     1.  Rest, Relax, & Recover

Preaching and Sermon Preparation are both mentally and physically draining.  In order to present well, breaks are needed to refresh and refill the soul.  This break includes a week at the beach.  A Burgess family favorite!



     2.  Read & Plan

I often use the time to read and plan for future sermon series.



     3.  Meetings

I maximize meetings with people that I can't otherwise do during preaching runs.

     4.  Write

Well...good intentions, right?



     5.  Study

Along with reading and planning, I study theology and books of the Bible.

     6.  Play with and spend time with my family.

This includes movies, backyard baseball, cornhole, etc...



1 comment: