Monday, September 28, 2009

Quotes About The Sabbath

Here are the four quotes I used Sunday during my message about the Sabbath. I stated that "Rest Must Be Rooted In Faith."

Dan Allender:

"Sabbath is not about time off or a break in routine. It is not a mini-vacation to give us a respite so we are better prepared to go back to work. The Sabbath is far more than a diversion; it is meant to be an encounter with God's delight."

Louie Giglio:

"Sabbath is not so much about a day off as it is a 'day up'--a day to remember that He is God and we are not. Without Sabbath, we forget who we are and lose sight of who He is, leaving us to carry the weight of the world on our shoulders. When there is no Sabbath in our lives we become intoxicated by the lie that the sum of our lives depends on our effort alone."

"To remember the Sabbath and keep it holy is for us to say: Everything doesn't hinge on me. If I stop doing my part, the whole world will not fall apart. I am not in control...God doesn't need me to accomplish His work. I am little. God is huge. I trust Him."

Thomas Brooks:

"Rest is the most desirable good, the most suitable good, and to you the greatest good. 'Come', says Christ, that is, 'believe in me, and I will give you rest'; I will give you peace with God, and peace with conscience; I will turn your storm into an everlasting calm; I will give you such rest, that the world can neither give to you nor take from you."

No comments:

Post a Comment