Monday, February 10, 2014

What I Pray (Part 1)

Today I start of series of posts describing how I pray and what I pray for.  I hope these will be helpful in enhancing your prayer life.


In my extended prayer time, I usually loosely follow what is often called "The Lord's Prayer" found in Matthew 6:5-15.  I encourage you to read and study it.  I usually start my prayer by reminding myself of what Jesus has done for me.  I review the Gospel.  In my prayer guide I have this image from a book titled The Bookends of the Christian Life by Jerry Bridges and Bob Bevington.



I following this daily guide and remind myself that Jesus Is My...

  • Substitute
  • Sacrifice
  • Propitiation
  • Expiation
  • Reconciliation
  • Redeemer
  • Advocate
  • Example
  • Justification
Then I remind myself, often out loud, that because of what Jesus has done...

SIN IS NOT MY MASTER!

This not only sets the tone for my prayer, but for my day.  I need to be reminded often of who Jesus is and what He has done for me...and the amazing results!  Beginning this way also reminds me of what He has already provided before I start asking for more.  

Prayer is key to cultivating a growing relationship with Jesus Christ.  Spend some time in prayer today!

No comments:

Post a Comment